As coconut products continue to take over the world, coconut yoghurt has become an increasingly popular alternative to cows yoghurt, but delicious as it is it also leaves you with something of a hole in your pocket.
Thankfully there is a simple solution so you can continue to get your fix of creamy coconut goodness without breaking the bank… make it yourself. It’s actually really easy, tastes fantastic and gives you the opportunity to experiment with your own flavours.
Ingredients (makes 1 medium Kilner jar)
2 teaspoons agar agar powder
4 x capsule probiotic
Maple syrup, agave, date syrup or alternative for sweetening (optional)
1. Empty the tins of coconut cream in to a pan and bring to the boil.
2. Once boiled, reduce heat and whisk in 2 teaspoons of agar agar powder
3. Gently simmer for 10 minutes, whisking well every few minutes
4. Take off heat and leave to cool to blood temperature, use thermometer or finger to test
5. Break open and empty the contents of 4 x probiotic capsules in to the coconut mix, stir in well.
6. Optional – add in a small amount of sweetener of your choice or flavour maker (e.g maple syrup, agave, blueberry powder, passionfruit powder, cacao powder…)
7. Pour the coconut mix in to a sterile kilner jar
8. Place in an oven, dehydrator or hot airing cupboard at 110*f/43*c for minimum 12 hours max 24 hours. Note: leaving for 24 hours will give much thicker consistency.
9. After 12 – 24 hours remove jar and set to cool.
10. Once cool eat and enjoy 🙂 Keep in fridge between eating.
You can buy probiotics and agar agar for this recipe from our superfood shop, along with a wide range of natural sweeteners, fruit powders and dried berries to enjoy with your coconut yoghurt. All available here.