In the last few months I have become absolutely obsessed with mulberries, I’m talking in my breakfast, in a smoothie, in all raw cakes & slices and even just munching them as they are for a snack.
Now I have to admit I am not always the biggest fan of dried fruit, raisins and sultanas are not my friends (I have tried many times to like them but it just isn’t happening). But there’s something different about mulberries, something special. What I love so much about them is the soft, gooey texture and sweet, caramel like taste (the white variety in particular).
They are the perfect ingredient to add to raw caramel chocolate slices, blended with medjool dates on a ‘biscuit’ base topped with raw choc you just might eat in heaven
Here’s my ultimate recipe for indulgent and delicious caramel slices, this will make about 10-12 slices…
½ Cup Almonds
½ Cup Pecans
1 Cup Dates
2 tbs Desiccated Coconut
1 tbs Coconut Oil (or more if needed)
½ Cup Majool Dtaes
½ Cup White Mulberries
½ Cup Cashews (Soaked and rinsed)
2 tbs Almond Butter (or other nut butter)
3 tbs Raw Agave Syrup or Maple Syrup
1 tbs Coconut Oil
Pinch Himalayan Crystal Salt
Water (if needed)
¼ Cup Coconut Oil
¼ Cup Raw Cacao Powder
¼ Cup Raw Agave Syrup or Maple Syrup
Method – Base
– Put all ingredients for the base in a food processor and blend until it forms a sticky crumble consistency
– Spread the mixture evenly on a greaseproof paper lined tin
– Set in the freezer for an hour
Method – Caramel
– Add all caramel ingredients to the food processor and blend well, you may need to stop and push the mixture down a few times to ensure a smooth consistency
– You may need to add a little water if the mixture is too solid / sticky, keep adding until it is silky and easily spreadable
– Spread caramel on top of base and return to freezer for a further hour or until set
Method – Choc Topping
Add the coconut oil to a pan and heat on very low temperature until it all melts.
Add the cacao powder and agave/maple syrup to a pan and stir until it forms a chocolate sauce
Pour the chocolate sauce on top the caramel layer and spread evenly. Make sure the caramel has set before adding the top layer
Pop it back in the freezer for an hour until completely set
Once it has all set cut in to squares (best done straight from the freezer) and store in airtight contained in the fridge.
Sophia Harvey is one one of the owners of the successful online health food retailer Detox Trading, and is currently studying to become a nutritional therapist with the nutritional healing foundation. Complementary therapy has been in the Harvey family for four generations, Sophia’s great grandfather being one of the UK’s first Osteopaths.