400 grams Organic Kale
1 cup cashew pieces nuts, soaked for up to 1 hour
2 tsp yeast flakes – (I use Engevita Yeast Flakes)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp tamari or 2 tbsp of soya sauce.
¼ tsp sea salt
Enough water to blend the mix into a cream in your blender
1. Strip and use the kale leafy bits from the hard stems – compost the stalks.
2. Then massage the salt into the kale leaves, squeezing and rubbing for a good 5 + minutes. Do this until they wilt and start to give off liquid and then set aside.
3. Blend all the rest of the ingredients till very creamy, in a high speed blender (Vitamix Blender) – add a little more water if needed for smooth result.
4. Mix creamy blend in with the kale – well coated.
5. Place the mix kale onto the mesh sheets that usually come with your dehydrator – don’t pile it up, just make it even across the sheets.
6. Dehydrate for around 8 hours at 115 degrees until they’re proper crispy. I tend to do mine at night, and in my garage as the kale has a particular smell.
Kale crisps are a delicious savoury sprinkle or eat straight out of the bag. Adding the yeast flakes makes them yummy cheese flavoured. You will need a dehydrator (I use the Excalibur 5 tray version) and a good high speed blender. If you are into raw food prepping then it has to be a Vitamix Bender . . . simply the best ; ) . . . but at a price ; ( . . . and its well worth it)